List of Companies that supply and install Heat Pumps
This is listing page for Companies that supply and install Heat Pumps in your area.
Some brief information on Heat Pumps
Heat Pumps are a very good alternative source of Home Heating. We already mentioned other forms of renewable energy such wood burning stoves for space heating or solar panels for heating water. But overall if you are looking for a consistent form of energy delivery to your home then look no further than Heat Pumps. Systems such as air to air and geothermal heat pumps or mini split heat pumps get their energy from one location and deliver a higher energy quotient to your home. The efficiency of your heat pump will depend on the source of energy used and degree of insulation and air tightness of your home.
See also the SEAI homeowners guide to heat pump systems
Types of Heat Pumps Sources:
- Air Source - this type of system extracts air from the outside using a fan and passes it through the heat pump. The pump will boost the energy output and deliver to your home heating elements such as radiators, hot water storage cylinders or underfloor heating.
- Ground Source or Geothermal Heat Pump – in this system heat is extracted from the ground. The rest of the operation is similar to the air source. Ground source can be quite expensive as it entails looping several metres of flexible pipe and covering with approximately 1 metre of soil. The principal is that the underground temperatures maintain a constant temperature year round. Although the installation costs can be quite high the output efficiency will be much higher than the air source during the colder months. The flexible piping can be either laid horizontally or vertically.
- Water Source – this system is very similar to the geothermal except the input heat is sourced from underground water such as groundwater or wells. Costs will be similar to ground source.
As illustrated above both the geothermal heat pumps and the water source systems should be a closed loop.
- Ductless Heating Systems or Mini Split Heat Pumps - these heat pumps consist of a compressor situated outside the dwelling and an air handling unit situated inside your home. They are used for heating or cooling individual rooms. They are very efficient.
A Heat Pump is an electrical gadget that takes heat from one location and transfers it to another. A Heat Pump can be used for heating or cooling, operating on the same principle as a refrigerator.
A common way of supplying heat to a heat pump is by taking air from the outside atmosphere. Even cold air has heat energy. However, very cold air will not meet this criterion. The Heat pump draws heat from the atmosphere at low temperatures and converts it into high temperature for use in the home. This type of heat pump is known as an Air Source Heat Pump.
- Extremely Low carbon emissions at source.
- They are very efficient at converting energy into heat.
- Can be used for both heating and cooling.
- Take up very little space.
- Lower energy bills.
- Improvement in Energy Rating.
- Initial costs can be high.
- Very dependent on the cost of electricity; this can be offset, to some extent, by introducing solar or wind source electricity into your home.
- Very cold outside-temperatures will effect the operation of the heat pump.